Monday, August 24, 2015

The Old Style



I consider myself a pretty big early-era Beastie Boys fan so I was surprised as shit to stumble upon this bootleg claiming to feature demo tracks from the trio's watershed 1986 LP Licensed To Ill. Jaded from decades of shitty boots I didn't expect much but once "Rhymin' & Stealin'" hit the speakers it was like welcoming an old friend back home. Sure the mixes are rough and the CD quality is marginal but man it is fun hearing semi-alternate versions of the record's time-tested classics. Featuring two so-so deleted songs "I'm Down" (a Beatles cover, 'natch) and "Scenario" - the real treat are the demos. While most of the songs are basically the same they are clearly mixed differently and, how can I say, heavier (especially "No Sleep Till Brooklyn"). "Rhymin' & Stealin" now ends with a since-censored "I smoke my crack and I'm rhymin' & stealin'..." "Fight For Your Right" has a whole additional verse (!) tacked on at the end, "Hold It Now, Hit It" wraps up differently. While it would be great if this was an actual leaked demo of what Licensed was originally intended to be, I've since read that Blue Moon Records (or whoever really cut this together) compiled some demos of tracks that were altered after the fact, added some deleted songs and filled in the gaps with slightly modified album cuts to approximate an "almost was" record. Regardless of the history it's still a cool listen. And I hear there's a Paul's Boutique demo bootleg floating around out there as well. Stay tuned.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice find! fuckin' a i'm old now but i remember when this shit came out and i was just a young 'un but i was rockin' the licensed to ill t shirt to school and swappin' dubs of this tape for Run DMC albums. good times.

Icky said...

Thanks for all the great stuff, always - this gem too.
You asked & I have them - not sure where I grabbed them, but here's a nice 320k rip of the Paul's Boutique demos.
Feel free to post the link provided, or D/L them & U/L to your own link, whatever.
All tagged properly, no worries.
I may get back in the game one of these days...

http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/VBRgs6g8/file.html

Crankenstien said...

Thanks for the comment on Day of the Dead (2008), yeah Ving has really turned himself into a Sci Fy shitty B-movie CGI star, pretty sad.