Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Back For Some Air...



Wow... it's been like two months since my last post and nothing to show for it. Yard still looks rough and my laundry list of home improvement projects hasn't even had the dust blown off it. Oh well - still got all summer to catch up I guess. Anyways, regardless of my failures as a suburban homeowner, I've found myself revisiting this great CD during my hours of (apparently useless) lawn mowing and mulching. Flashback 1992: Driving home through the night to New England from spring break in Fort Lauderdale (a fun 16 hours of munching mini-thins and Diet Pepsis), my college pals and I ended up on some oldie station which had us deliriously singing along to some fun tunes including Mungo Jerry's "In The Summertime" and Jerry Reed's "Amos Moses". Once back at school my roommate was obsessed with finding "that 'Summertime' song" on a single so we blindly hit some of the downtown record holes. Man, how was shit accomplished without the internet back then? We didn't know the artist, the song's real name or even remember how it really went (give us a break, there was a week's worth of alcohol poisoning eating away at our short term memories) yet through a stroke of luck we found some old store owner who knew exactly what we were talking about and presented this CD. Interestingly, we didn't just find Mungo Jerry's one-hit wonder on the album, we found the entire setlist of the radio show we heard. I guess enthusiasm for the job waned around 3AM on that South Carolina oldie station and the DJ simply pressed play on the CD and ran (or slept). The songs are still great 20 years later (and shit, they were already 20 years old back then) and get me chuckling nearly every time I hear 'em, partially from the absolute schlock of it all but there's also a bit of nostalgia. R. Dean Taylor's "Indiana Wants Me," Jerry Reed's aforementioned "Amos Moses" and, yes, even Partridge Family's "I Think I Love You" are my faves - a perfect snapshot of 70's kitsch. And if you can take another boring anecdote, this CD actually kept an old girlfriend and I together through the throes of our 54th or so breakup - Bobby Sherman's über cheesy "Julie, Do Ya Love Me" happened to come on random play right as we were slamming doors to go our own way... "Honey you cried the day I left you, even though we knew I couldn't stay" boomed in the background and yes, our love saw the light. We finally broke up two years later, effectively ending one of the worst (and longest) relationships in my life, but that's beside the point.
 
Currently watching: Barton Fink
Currently listening to: Ween Chocolate And Cheese

No comments: