Thursday, June 14, 2012

Put Your Boobs On...



These days on the ol' internet it's rare to have an actual "rarity." Most of the time it's just leeching off one blog after another vainly trying to showcase something a little different then the rest. With that being said I present Ween's 2000 demo Long Beach Island. Evidently recorded to cassette then promptly stolen from Deaner's car, the abducted tape contained a few embryonic tunes which would eventually make their way onto White Pepper as well as a some other tracks destined to wallow in the unreleased limbo that Ween fans obsess over. "Back To Basom," "The Grobe," "Bananas And Blow" and "Baroque Jam 3" (otherwise known as "Ice Castles") made the Elektra cut. As for the other obscure-ish flotsam? Here they are in no particular order or bitrate, these are mp3s as good as I could scrounge from the online wastelands. Enjoy, my boognish brethren.

 
Currently watching: Mulholland Dr.
Currently listening to: Black Flag Family Man

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this, it's fantastic! Are the tracks that you excluded hydentical to the "White Pepper" album and can they be obtained somehow?

winston95 said...

Hey man, I just don't know. I excluded them simply because I couldn't find any "demo" versions which makes me think they were identical. Believe me, if I find some this post will definitely get an update.

Anonymous said...

I think I can shed some light on the history of this tape and offer you guys a better copy- I think the "stolen from the car" story is bs, but if it was stolen I know who did it, and it was a friend of the band whi I won't name, although I really don't know the guy...met him once, but that's it. Anyway, at a John & Peter's show back in '99 (I believe)I struck up a conversation with a guy who was friends with the band and mentioned this tape. We became friends and he kindly mailed me a 2nd gen. copy of the tape, which he got from the dude who "stole" it. I promptly went to a local shop and had it transferred to cd, as this was well before I had the ability to do such things myself. I asked my friend if it would be okay to share with a few people...he said "no problem," so I mailed out a couple of copies. Maybe three days later I get a call from him saying that Gener called him super-pissed, and that the band had gotten into trouble with the label over the fact that some of the stuff was slated to be on the soon-to-be released album. He told me not to share it with anyone, that he was on the shitlist, and Ween was sailing through a shitstorm over it....my theory is that the legend that the tape was stolen was a cover story the band sold the record label...but it's possible that their buddy snatched it from a car....who knows? Anyway, I still have the tape and original disc, and just did a FLAC transfer if anyone is interested....unless anyone still has any objections? I made some art as well, but I like the front cover you posted better than the one I made...I dig my back cover though.....

Anonymous said...

re-up?

winston95 said...

Hey Anonymous - I am TOTALLY interested... that is the best news I've heard in ages! I'd be happy to host your link. Please email me or drop another comment, I'd love to hear a solid "complete" version. Thanks for dropping a line!!!

Anonymous said...

i would love to see a "complete" copy of this too! just found this blog, thanks!