Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hard Drive Deadbeats: DEATH METAL



I really thought I had a winner when I picked up Ulcer Uterus's 2008 effort Agonizing Degradation. Blackened death metal tending towards a more political angle than the typical (and tiring) scatological stuff. Once again, the album's not actually bad, just painfully dull. Riffs and grooves that would have been incredible in the mid-90's seem overused and tired. Additionally, some of the song arrangements seem a tad out of synch ("Elite" especially) as if the instruments were recorded at different times. Finally, the album gives off a strange heavy metal vibe, don't ask me what it is, it just seems like there's a whole lot of treble for a death metal album! Honestly, if all the songs were simply downtuned one or two steps, I think we'd have a winner.



Currently watching: Libido Mania
Currently listening to: Carnifex The Diseased And The Poisoned

No comments: