Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Birth of Deathcore


 

With the recent release of Carnifex's newest, Hell Chose Me, I thought it a good time to revisit the album that launched my love of deathcore, 2005's Dead In My Arms. Some consider Suicide Silence to be the fathers of the genre (via 2003's The Cleansing), maybe that would be true if they weren't so boring. Carnifex took the sound to another level with this album; it not only in sold well, it also achieved the monumental task of getting deathcore across to the masses. Immensely huge tracks such as "Slit Wrist Savior" had never been done to such a level before, they truly substantiate the band's innovative relevance in heavy music history. They've gone down a more standard death metal route with their latest material and I can't blame them for wanting to change styles, yet I really think they were at their peak with this one.


No comments: