Sunday, February 21, 2010

New Wave '81


 

Since my dad's British, some of the cooler events of my childhood were the trips we'd make overseas every few years to visit family in the UK. A great bunch of folks across the pond who are the most wonderful hosts  - too bad I don't get to see them as often as I wish I could. One of the more memorable trips (1981) had us returning to the good ol' U.S. with a mix tape containing some up-and-coming British bands. Who knew in 6 months Duran Duran would be a Top 20 chart staple for the next decade or two? Well, we sure didn't but it's funny to think that we (and the kids on our tiny cul-de-sac) heard them first. Of course no one (except my brother if he ever reads this) will have any interest in the Tenpole Tudor, Buggles, Adam Ant, Duran Duran and ELO tracks on this website but I put them up for posterity so you could see how hip and on the pulse of the music industry my 8-year old ass was thirty years ago.

No comments: