Saturday, April 5, 2014

Prog Sludge



A decade or so ago, while completely immersed in the throes of greatness that was The Abominable Iron Sloth, I was pretty much buying any album remotely linked to the band, whether through Amazon's generated "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought..." links or such now-antiquated means as AIS's Myspace friends. One way or another I ended up with LA's Intronaut in my shopping cart and upon excitedly throwing it in my CD player expecting Abominable II I was somewhat... disappointed. And by "somewhat" I mean "extremely". Don't get me wrong (and Intronaut purists out there put down your AK's), Void is not a bad album for what it is - actually I'm sure in the heavy prog metal world it's regarded as a landmark achievement, it's just not my style. I was never a Tool fan, not into Perfect Circle or even Mastodon for that matter. I was hoping for minimalist bone-crushing ear-splitting sludgecore and unfortunately, this album was void of that. Closing point, if you are into any of those aforementioned bands you will fucking love this.


No comments: