Saturday, March 15, 2014

Perfect Is The Life Of King



One of my favorite crossover albums of all time - a weird thrash metal hybrid from the mid-80's by an obscure Canadian band that never really managed to go anywhere. I'm sure I wasn't the only kid in north Jersey sporting a DBC t-shirt but I am sure I was one of the three. Interestingly, I ended up with this classic while down at a record shop in in Palm Springs, FL visiting my well-tanned grandparents. I had purchased some random LP by a forgettable Thompson Twins-knockoff called Secret Society solely on the appeal of the album cover (and the fact they had a song called "69" - heyooo!) that was so terribly unlistenable that I forced my poor grandmother to drive my 13-year old ass back to the record store. Well, just like today, you were banned from returning audio merchandise that was already open but my German-scowling grandmother threatened the poor register jockey to the point that he offered this album as a trade. And there ya go. The album easily holds up to this day - especially my favorites "Monument," "Power And Corruption" and "Terrorist Mind".  Cool political vibe as the Reagan-era drew to a close, there's nary a bad song on this one. Unfortunately I never could quite get into the band's sophomore LP Universe, but this eponymous debut will always have a special place in my heart.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DBC when they played Toronto in the 1980s, even though they were longhairs, would hang out with the punk rockers and party, like at Goof Fort, or Fort Goof, forgot what it was called, with the BFG's - BunchofFuckin'Goofs.